Firefox/Flash with jackd

Chris Dawson xrdawson at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 02:41:42 BST 2007

Hi there,

I am loving Ubuntu Studio.  It works so well, and I am having fun
playing with the loads of software, rather than fighting to compile
from source as you often have to with lesser known projects especially
in the audio production realm.  Ubuntu Studio is just awesome.

One thing I am struggling with:  how to get Flash (via Firefox) to
play when jackd is running.  I have been able to get almost every app
I need to work under jack:  Banshee works via gstreamer,
Rosegarden/qsynth, mplayer (compiled from source for jack support),
and even RealPlayer works using "jacklaunch realplay" which was very
surprising.  But, for the life of me I cannot figure out a way to get
Firefox and Flash to play when jackd is locking the soundcard.

I thought I would get very clever and use kfusd and oss2jack to create
a virtual dsp that could route sound into jack transparently.  The
current kfusd from xiph does not compile, so I filed a bug and then
tinkered to no avail.

Has anyone successfully used mplayer (or other software) as a browser
plugin to playback SWF and FLV files?  I have not tried this yet, but
I suppose that could work as mplayer can route through jack.

Does anyone know how to get this to work?  Flash playback is such an
issue as once it grabs the sound card it does not let go until you
kill Firefox.  This makes it so frustrating when doing research and
testing apps with jack because you have to kill the browser each time.

I still love Ubuntu Studio, tho!

Thanks!
Chris