[ubuntu-studio-devel] Pre-Installed Application Review (effective for 20.10)

Erich Eickmeyer eeickmeyer at ubuntu.com
Mon May 11 16:23:45 UTC 2020

Hi Eylul!

On 5/11/20 4:55 AM, eylul wrote:

> I would suggest adding:
>
> 1) Siril (photography) - astrophotography suite that does a series of
> tasks related to it, including dealing with astrophotography specific
> file formats, aligning and stacking of large number of images, dealing
> with dark, flat and bias frames etc. (debian package: siril)
>
> 2) Hugin (photography) - panorama maker, also useful for making HDR
> images, and aligning of some specific astrophotography and
> non-astrophotography related aligning. (debian package hugin)

Those two seem certainly sensible. In fact, iirc, Digikam works with Hugin.

> 3) Godot (game design) - Godot is an open sourced gaming engine. it
> looks like it finally is in debian repositories and we can put it in.
> :) (current package is godot3. Godot 4.0 is expected to happen
> sometime in the middle of 2020 through so worth watching)

At this point we'd have to decide whether or not Ubuntu Studio is also
an application development studio. Historically, this has not been the
case. To be honest, I'd rather not go down that road, because that could
easily increase the size of the ISO.

> 4) Natron (video) - node based compositing software. (a commercial
> example would be adobe after effects)  it has an active userbase. The
> main problem is that it is not in the repos, but it is available as a
> snap (and also as a flatpak)

Per Natron's documentation, they require Qt 4 ("Natron is known to be
buggy when running with Qt 5"), which has been removed from the repos.
This is probably why it's only available as a snap or a flatpak. From a
packaging perspective, I'm going to have to say "no" to this one,
unfortunately. That said, it should be available from Discover out of
the box since it's a snap. Perhaps we can add the snap as a seeded snap
(yes, that's a thing), I can look into that.

> There is some other software I would love to see in, but they don't
> have repos/packages available so not sure it is feasible to discuss them.
>
> Could we start with the full list of software and work off of it?  I
> am worried we might miss less obvious overlaps or potential missing
> items. For example we should probably look into video viewers (not
> sure we have VLC installed by default) and what music players we have.
> I believe we are not pre-installing some publishing packages like
> calibre, etc :)

Both VLC and Calibre are seeded.

The full software list is in the seed:
https://git.launchpad.net/~ubuntustudio-dev/ubuntu-seeds/+git/ubuntustudio/tree/

Naturally, you can ignore the "STRUCTURE", "blacklist", "dvd",
"dvd-live", "ship-live", "pre-seeds", and "supported" files.

-Erich