[ubuntu-studio-devel] Virtual Instrument Gap

eylul eylul at ubuntustudio.org
Sun Aug 16 17:09:57 UTC 2020

>>   The latest VSTs, both free and commercial ones from companies like
>> Spectrasonics and Arturia, do not run on the older versions of Windows
>> supported by Wine (Vista is the latest).  I have encountered other
>> problems
>
> I am sure wine goes beyond vista.

Wine definitely goes beyond vista. (outside of the realm of audio, in
gaming, Lutris, and Steam's proton both use wine, and actually it is a
lot more reliable in running software these days. I use it a few modern
games - most if not all of which does require windows 10, and for a 3D
printer software that is specific to my 3D printer).

You can run winecfg to switch your default wine prefix
(/home/<username>/.wine) to windows 10. It was defaulted to windows 7 on
mine. (I don't work with the default prefix much as I tend to use lutris
and  playonlinux to install software), That should fix that issue hopefully?

Best

Eylul