[ubuntu-studio-devel] Web design/theme contribution

eylul eylul at ubuntustudio.org
Mon Oct 21 19:04:02 UTC 2019

Hi Shinta,

First of all apologies for not being able to comment the last update and
delay on doing so in this one.

Quick review: A nitpick on this (or possibly a bug), a second bug with
the social media icons (everything was reviewed on Firefox 69.0.2 on
Ubuntu Studio Bionic for reference in case either of these are browser
specific issues) and a license related item

1) could we make the font of the tagline a bit smaller so that it
doesn't overwhelm the logo? It looks fine on mobile but on desktop it
looks larger than the font of the logo at the moment. (not sure if this
is intended behavior or a bug)

2) there is something strange happening with the social media icons as I
can see both facebook and twitter icons on my android phone, only
facebook icon when viewing the demo, and neither when I am editing the
layout. Not sure exactly what is happening there. (the twitter logo
image is not even showing on the editing sidebar even through it looks
as uploaded.) if it is the images themselves that is causing the hiccup
we can probably fix it easily, but just want to make sure that they are
not getting eaten by a layout bug of some form. :)

3) Erich, just as a heads-up, on the keyboard photograph used. Unsplash
changed its license from CC0 a couple of years ago and it is a bit of a
strange situation. Creative commons declares it as technically not GPL
compatible (or at least not in some situations)
(https://creativecommons.org/2017/06/22/unsplash/) unsplash claims that
it is for individual images
(https://twitter.com/lukechesser/status/872997091374751745), but then
again modification should be alright in this explanation? Just something
for us to keep in mind and maybe we might want to note this also on the
theme license?

Other than that this looks fantastic.  The theme has tons of customizing
options that will give us a lot of flexibility in terms of how our
content can change without having to change the code. Issues previously
mentioned are fixed as far as I can tell. The user documentation is very
detailed and we should be able to integrate it into our docs, (and code
is also documented through comments) The core team obviously will need
to give the final approval, but this looks great and thank you for your
hard work on it. :)

Best

Eylul