[ubuntu-studio-devel] Installation of 19.10 Studio

erich at ericheickmeyer.com erich at ericheickmeyer.com
Sat Nov 23 17:08:30 UTC 2019

Hi Mike,

"Mike Squires" <michael.leslie.squires at gmail.com> – November 23, 2019 9:01 AM
> I installed 19.10 on my admittedly idiosyncratic system, Supermicro
> X7DAE/dual Xeon quad core/3ware 9750/AMD Radeon 5000 video. 19.10 with
> the low-latency kernel is not usable on this system.
>
> The slowdown does not appear when booting off the DVD, just after
> installation. However, the slowdown becomes apparent when the
> installation tried to access the RAID 1 array on the 3ware 9750 card. I
> noted some errors that emerged when I tried to install using the safer
> video option that indicated that the installation was having problems
> with the 3ware card. That attempt failed when "partman" crashed.
>
> I'm running Xubuntu 19.04 on the same hardware (different RAID 1 array,
> dual 2TB Seagate Constellation instead of dual 1.5 TB Seagate Barracuda
> drives) without issues.
>
> I don't expect anyone to try to address these problems since I doubt
> anyone else will run into them.
>
> The boot options allow for booting two different versions with the
> low-latency options; I will later try to install the standard kernel and
> see what happens with that.
>
> I am using Studio on a Dell i5 laptop and an HP i7 laptop without
> problems (older versions), thank you.
>
> Mike Squires

You are correct, we cannot address these issues since nobody on the Ubuntu Studio Development team has anything to do with the kernel, which is what is causing the issues. We have ZERO direct involvement with the kernel; all of that is done by the Ubuntu Kernel team. Remember, Ubuntu Studio is NOT separate from Ubuntu.

Additionally, it's not guaranteed to work or work properly on all hardware.

Basically, by making noise in the development list for this kind of thing, you're barking up the wrong tree. I suggest contacting the Ubuntu Kernel team.

There are 6 of us on the Ubuntu Studio team, and you know this. This is volunteer time, none of us are employed to do this.

I also suggest utilizing askubuntu.com.

This development list is NOT a support channel, it's for development collaboration.

Thank you,
Erich

----
Erich Eickmeyer