[ubuntu-studio-devel] Web design/theme contribution

Erich Eickmeyer eeickmeyer at ubuntu.com
Tue Jun 11 01:40:01 UTC 2019

Hi Shinta,

On Thu, Apr 25, 2019 at 11:18 PM, Shinta Carolinasari
<shinta at playmain.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am in the middle of website development right now. I would say, the
> home page is almost finished and the next stage will be improving the
> layout. Once it ready to be shown, I will give you an update.
> Meanwhile, I am sorry for the late response for some of you who gave
> me feedback.
>
>> I might suggest some tweaks to make content not be halfway visible
>> when page is loaded, and maybe verification of the order of things
>> on first page
>
> About the banner design, as per your feedback, I will adjust the
> content is not halfway visible when the page is loaded.
> About the order on the homepage, you have mentioned before, would you
> give me more details?
> Please let me know if you have other feedback..
>
>> I have used wordpress child themes so that changes to the theme code
>> are isolate in a small file and updates work properly without having
>> to update updates to the base theme.
>
> We will build a fresh base theme, based on underscores
> (https://underscores.me <https://underscores.me/>).
> And try to make editable region easier & quick to edit through
> standard Wordpress (eg: customizer and widget).
> As you've mentioned, a child theme is fine for future major
> modifications, but since we have restriction to access theme files, I
> don't think it can be done often.
>
>> Or use something like the free versions of Elementor and Astra and
>> not deal with themes at all.
>
> Elementor is awesome site builder.
> However as discussed before, since we have limited utilization of
> plugin, it's better to do it in a conservative way (standard
> Wordpress). Luckily Gutenberg will be helpful here, to have block
> editing experience even though not as powerful as Elementor.
>
>> if you need photos of a mixing console, small, not original British,
>> keyboards from small Bluetooth to a real synth, ...
>
> Thanks :), I really appreciate it. Wondering if you have photo
> similar to <https://unsplash.com/photos/_mugHa5Fc3M> ? So we can
> replace it.
>

> Thanks again & please let me know if you have further feedback.
>

> Regards,
> Shinta
>

> On 4/17/2019 1:24 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> if you need photos of a mixing console, small, not original British,
>> keyboards from small Bluetooth to a real synth, guitars from classic
>> to electric, assimilated by the hex pickup Borg, airbrush from a
>> more or
>> less unknown brand to DeVilbiss cult, pencils, 35mm film, an analog
>> reflex camera, Letraset/Mecanorma screen tones and letters, speakers,
>> 19" gear, analog stomp boxes etc. pp., I've got a new tablet PC that
>> makes way better digital photos, than my old tablet PC could make. On
>> request I could take one or the other photo and take care that no
>> brand
> [...]

I wanted to see what the status is on this theme. I have, with the help
of Canonical IS, found the location from which the current theme is
being mirrored:

<https://code.launchpad.net/ubuntustudio-website>

I'm not sure if it's important, but the Wordpress instances hosted by
Canonical are Juju charms:

<https://code.launchpad.net/wordpress-services-charm>
<https://code.launchpad.net/wordpress-theme-charm>

Right now, I think getting a working staging area would be a good idea.
Once that's done, we would need a location from which to download the
theme, which would then get uploaded to the link above.

Let me know if there's anything you need from me.
Erich
----
Erich Eickmeyer
Project Leader