[ubuntu-studio-devel] Audio Handbook

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Tue Feb 19 20:27:23 UTC 2019

On Tue, 19 Feb 2019, Erich Eickmeyer wrote:

> On Tue, 2019-02-19 at 10:31 -0800, Len Ovens wrote:
>> aside, these plugins even when properly packaged, do sometimes cause
>> crashes in combination with other plugins which use the same GUI lib
>> but
>> different version (gtk2 vs gtk3). My understanding is that the Calf
>> team
>> is working on a GUI toolkit to replace GTK. (GTK or QT should never
>> be
>> used as a plugin toolkit and any toolkit used should be compiled in
>> static)
>
> Can confirm: https://github.com/calf-studio-gear/CTK
>
> Seems as though Markus has been quite busy lately.

Good.

> There's really quite a combination of problems here, and it is a very
> touchy subject on both sides. Either way, I feel as though remove Calf
> altogether and removing it from the Audio Handbook is throwing out the
> baby with the bathwater.

No, don't remove it, As I said their are people who like the way it sounds
even if it is not the best sounding stuff out there. I would just not put
it down in the manual as my first choice or a preferable choice even.
Better to give a list of packages in reverse aphabetical order ;)  and let
the user choose.

www.ovenwerks.net