[ubuntu-studio-devel] Audio Handbook

Erich Eickmeyer eeickmeyer at ubuntu.com
Tue Feb 19 19:04:23 UTC 2019

On Tue, 2019-02-19 at 10:31 -0800, Len Ovens wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Feb 2019, Erich Eickmeyer wrote:
>
> > The entire problem with the calf plugins stems from bad packaging
> > of
> > the calf-ladspa plugins, which comes in the lmms package and was
> > never
> > meant to be exposed to the rest of th esystem. bacically, Ardour
> > will

> Not true. Only one of the problems comes from bad packaging. There
> are
> others. Some people find the DSP problems artistic though I can't
> imagine
> anyone finding 1000db outputs artisitic (or helpful to ones
> speakers).

Is there a bug report for this? I couldn't find one.

> > So DSP
> aside, these plugins even when properly packaged, do sometimes cause
> crashes in combination with other plugins which use the same GUI lib
> but
> different version (gtk2 vs gtk3). My understanding is that the Calf
> team
> is working on a GUI toolkit to replace GTK. (GTK or QT should never
> be
> used as a plugin toolkit and any toolkit used should be compiled in
> static)

Can confirm: https://github.com/calf-studio-gear/CTK

Seems as though Markus has been quite busy lately.

There's really quite a combination of problems here, and it is a very
touchy subject on both sides. Either way, I feel as though remove Calf
altogether and removing it from the Audio Handbook is throwing out the
baby with the bathwater.

Erich