[ubuntu-studio-devel] Audio Handbook

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Tue Feb 19 18:31:37 UTC 2019

On Tue, 19 Feb 2019, Erich Eickmeyer wrote:

> The entire problem with the calf plugins stems from bad packaging of
> the calf-ladspa plugins, which comes in the lmms package and was never
> meant to be exposed to the rest of th esystem. bacically, Ardour will

Not true. Only one of the problems comes from bad packaging. There are
others. Some people find the DSP problems artistic though I can't imagine
anyone finding 1000db outputs artisitic (or helpful to ones speakers). So DSP
aside, these plugins even when properly packaged, do sometimes cause
crashes in combination with other plugins which use the same GUI lib but
different version (gtk2 vs gtk3). My understanding is that the Calf team
is working on a GUI toolkit to replace GTK. (GTK or QT should never be
used as a plugin toolkit and any toolkit used should be compiled in
static)

www.ovenwerks.net