[ubuntu-studio-devel] Audio Handbook

Erich Eickmeyer eeickmeyer at ubuntu.com
Tue Feb 19 16:47:41 UTC 2019

Hi Ralf

On Tue, 2019-02-19 at 09:30 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Hi,
>
> [snip]

Your message was a little long, so I snipped the entire thing. I hope
what I write here addresses it.

The entire problem with the calf plugins stems from bad packaging of
the calf-ladspa plugins, which comes in the lmms package and was never
meant to be exposed to the rest of th esystem. bacically, Ardour will
crash if it even detects those plugins. The ladspa plugins were made
specifically for LMMS and were not ever meant to be exposed to the rest
of the system, which is what is causing a huge conflict with the more
modern LV2 plugins.

https://github.com/calf-studio-gear/calf/issues/181

https://github.com/calf-studio-gear/calf/issues/134

Additionally, the Calf project had a major release back in November
2017 with 0.90.0, but the maintainer of the Debian package MIA, I took
on the job of packaging it. Since then, a major issue popped-up which
was indeed causing issues with Ardour (and probably the biggest source
or their gripes) and was fixed with the release of 0.90.1, which is
discussed in #181 above.

I got the packaging done and Ross got it upstream into Debian. 0.90.1
is being included with Ubuntu Studio 19.04, and I'm considering pulling
the package to backport it to 18.04 in our backports PPA.

Yet the problem with LMMS using calf-ladspa as a dependency persists,
and while Ross was able to fix the Debian package upstream, there have
been some build issues with the ppc64 build, which Ross is working on
to correct, before it can land in 19.04. For now, LMMS has been removed
from Ubuntu Studio, and while we would like to add it back, we have to
give it lower priority since it uses a depricated plugin format that is
conflicting with other parts of the system.

So, all that to say your requests to remove Calf Studio Gear from
Ubuntu Studio or to remove that piece of the Audio Handbook are denied.
We have worked way too hard to fix the problems rather than cover them
up or to take on any anti-Calf policy as Ardour has done.

Thank you,
Erich

Erich Eickmeyer
Council Chair