[ubuntu-studio-devel] Audio Handbook

Erich Eickmeyer erich at ericheickmeyer.com
Mon Feb 18 15:23:46 UTC 2019

Hi Ross,

On 2/18/2019 6:12 AM, Ross Gammon wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I finally got my Ubuntu Studio test machine up an running two weekends
> ago (there was a problem with my plugin video card which I haven't
> solved yet). With a fresh install of US 18.10, I started following the
> Audio Handbook. Naturally, I jotted down some TODO items.
>
> Where is the source stored? I see we have wiki format, and PDF & EPUB
> versions (and I remember the original was in Writer format).
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuStudio/AudioHandbook
>
> Would it be an idea to package the handbook so it can be put uploaded to
> our new ppa? Then there could be a version for each release (e.g. we
> should start explaining -controls & how to install on other flavours for
> Disco).
> The dominant form for documentation in packages is html, but I suppose
> we could package it in any form with an appropriate launcher.
The only source he ever gave us was in HTML, which was copied verbatim
to the wiki with a few edits.

As for the source of the PDF & EPUB, that pretty much is the wiki, which
is why I recommend copying & pasting from the wiki to any new document.
The problem with going from any other format to the wiki is the special
flavor of markdown used, and I haven't found any way to autoformat from
any other format to that special markdown.

That special markdown format is very much why I didn't consider
uploading the original files he gave me since it required hours of
painstaking manual conversion to the markdown. I figured any edits would
be done on the wiki and then could be copy/pasted into a writer document
for conversion to EPUB or PDF. Essentially, the way I see it, the wiki
is now the source.

As far as packaging goes, wouldn't it be better just to make a link to
the wiki in our menu? That way it's kept up-to-date.

Erich