[ubuntu-studio-devel] Ubuntu Studio 18.10 fails on Supermicro X7DAE

Mike Squires michael.leslie.squires at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 21:34:18 UTC 2019

I reinstalled on my desktop and tried using the normal LINUX kernel
rather than the low-latency one.

Same problem, very slow operation.  My current guess is that the problem
may be in my use of the 3ware PCI Express SATA RAID controller since it
appears that programs run more-or-less normally once loaded but take a
very long time to load or to open new windows.

I will next try the most recent XUBUNTU once I get the drive-swapping
arrangement fixed.

Hardware is a Supermicro X7DAE motherboard, dual quad core Xeon 2 GHz
CPUs, 20GB RAM, ATI 5000 PCI-Express video.  The on-board Adaptec SATA
Raid controller is not supported by Windows 7 which is why I'm using the
3ware controller.

20GB RAM, all ECC and registered.

3ware 9750 4 channel SATA controller with 2 Seagate 2 TB Constellation
drives in RAID 1.

M-Audio sound card.

Operation under 16.04 is normal, as is operation under Windows 7 X64
(system dual-boots using "grub").

UNIXBench output in HTML format is attached.  This is for the system
running 16, not 18.  Nothing obviously odd there.

Mike Squires

--
Michael L. Squires, Ph.D., M.P.A.
546 North Park Ridge Road