[ubuntu-studio-devel] Some thoughts, frustrations, and considerations.

Hank Stanglow stanglow at yandex.com
Sun Sep 23 23:09:33 UTC 2018

Hi. I have been following Ubuntu Studio since 2011 and it holds a
special place in my heart. I am sad to see development slow down, but I
also feel like changes in the way software is packaged and distributed
made this inevitable.

I stopped using Ubuntu Studio a couple years ago for a few reasons:
there were some annoying bugs in XFCE/Thunar, I wanted more recent
packages, and I wanted a better experience using non-gtk tools.

I do multimedia work and that's why I chose Ubuntu Studio. Having a good
audio setup was important, but I also needed drawing and video tools as
well. IMO, the best and most available FOSS tools for drawing and video
are Krita and KdenLive, which were always buggy on gtk-based systems.
However, with growing emphasis on Snaps and Flatpacks, software is
becoming both distribution and desktop environment agnostic. These days
a Linux user can get the best of everything regardless of their
distribution of choice. And that, I think, makes me wonder if I will
ever need Ubuntu Studio again. Even if Ubuntu Studio had a vibrant team
to keep up this distribution the question "is it needed?" would still
persist. Honestly, I don't even use KX Studio for audio anymore, so this
is not a problem specific to Ubuntu Studio.

Everyone should feel great about the role Ubuntu Studio played in moving
GNU/Linux/FOSS forward. Linux and Ubuntu are better than ever for
multimedia artists like myself.

Thanks for everything!