[ubuntu-studio-devel] availability of alternate DEs

lukefromdc at hushmail.com lukefromdc at hushmail.com
Sun Oct 7 20:41:29 UTC 2018

The external green drive issue is really a firmware bug, with that 4 second
spindown interval that gradually kills the drive unless it is run under very
limited circumstances. I would not support removing GVFS from MATE,
Cinnamon, or GNOME simply to crutch this situation. The correct fix would
be to add the abiiity to blacklist a known bad drive from being managed
by GVFS. Without GVFS the Nautilus-based file managers can be run but
won't be able to mount or unmount drives. I would sooner trash my one
surviving Caviar Green drive than give that up.

I had three of those clunkers, ran an HDPARM script against all three to
stop the 4 second spindowns. A long time later, one died of a board
failure and the other died of platter issues probably caused by having run
those fixes too late. These drives should not be used in regular service
at all, and if run every couple weeks to take a backup won't be damaged
by the spindown issue as they simply won't get enough use.

One way to stop the spindowns can be done as a user script that touches
any file on the offending drive at two-second intervals as a "keep-alive" to
force the drive to keep running.

Again, these drives are defective hardware and should be warned about and
workarounds offered, rather than removing features from file managers
for all users to deal with them.