[ubuntu-studio-devel] New version of Calf plugins (and a failed ISO build)

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Sun Nov 25 01:25:05 UTC 2018

On Sun, 25 Nov 2018, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Nov 2018 13:15:36 -0800 (PST), Len Ovens wrote:
>> I have found that the only problem with Ubuntu is that it is the
>> easiest Linux to access and so gets more newy users than Arch (for
>> example). I have found that more than 50% of all ubuntu user problems
>> are using Ardour/Jack with a USB mic and internal playback.
>
> I follow the Linux audio related mailing lists and this month I didn't
> read anything about USB microphones, there was just a Calf discussion,
> but there were also other threads, e.g. somebody experienced the same I

Certainly there is a difference between mailing lists and irc. The number
of people that appear on IRC say "hello" or "help" and then shortly there
after vanish is high. There are some who actually ask a question before
vanishing but normally within 5 min before anyone might have a chance to
say anything. The new generation of computer user does not have the
expectation of using email to mailing list and would rather use a facebook
like chat interface to talk with someone "right now" when they are hav9ing
the problem. So you don't see these people on mailing lists.

Of the people who have had problems with more than one audio
interface at a time, none of them anounced their problem in those terms. I
generally found out that was the problem by remote trouble shooting what
looked like another problem. It seems people expect to just plug in
another audio interface and use it along with what they already have
(something that is now possible since the 18.10 version of controls was
released). In general, pro-audio doesn't work that way (with any OS) due
to sync problems. macos does handle it (if not in "pro" manner) in much
the same way as the new controls does, with SRC on the USB device.

> I'm an Ardour user and most issues I experience with Ardour aren't
> caused by plugins. As probably most musicians I'm neither using an USB

They should not be if you are using Ardour as comes from a distro and so
uses the system libs.

> mic, nor an integrated audio device. Most issues I experience are

saying "as probably most musicians" aren't using USB mics may be true...
most new starting audio users are and many more want to use the speakers
they already have hooked up to their computer, not hook up something they
don't have to the new 2x2 USB audio device they have. One can no longer
buy a plain stereo amp of good quality for about $100. Instead they want
to sell you a "receiver" for $500 that has no analog inputs anymore.... of
course the new generation doesn't understand audio plugs/lines/levels etc
anyway. What most musicians used even 5 years ago does not at all give a
good idea of what is normal today. This is even more the case those of
limited budget (teens?) who are just starting out.

> caused by Ardour, it's not nearly as good programmed as claimed. For
> example, the only reason for dropping my CRTs and buying a LCD display
> was, that Ardour is unable to provide readable font sizes and at the
> same time windows that fit into the screen resolution. First I bought
> an inexpensive LCD display, but soon I noticed that I need an expensive
> LCD display, so I bought an expensive one.

I use $88CAD walmart specials on Ardour with no problem. In general I
don't even need my glasses like I do for reading. YMMV...

> The real problem with Ardour aren't Calf plugins and USB mic users. The

Certainly not, I agree. That is why we worked hard to make the use of USB
mics easy and almost automatic (plug it in and it just shows up on the
jack graph). Linux audio does not handle these situations well (ALSA,
pulse, jack, pipewire all included). The new -controls was our attempt at
making the audio infrastructure much more PNP.

Ardour is not the best tool for all uses but it is one of the top
applications in audio. We do want it to work. It would be nice to see
zynaddsubfx with it's new gui as well.

www.ovenwerks.net