[ubuntu-studio-devel] New version of Calf plugins (and a failed ISO build)

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sat Nov 24 23:06:55 UTC 2018

On Sat, 24 Nov 2018 13:15:36 -0800 (PST), Len Ovens wrote:
>I have found that the only problem with Ubuntu is that it is the
>easiest Linux to access and so gets more newy users than Arch (for
>example). I have found that more than 50% of all ubuntu user problems
>are using Ardour/Jack with a USB mic and internal playback.

Hi,

I follow the Linux audio related mailing lists and this month I didn't
read anything about USB microphones, there was just a Calf discussion,
but there were also other threads, e.g. somebody experienced the same I
experienced with Ardour. Resizing windows stopped working from one
release to another.

I'm an Ardour user and most issues I experience with Ardour aren't
caused by plugins. As probably most musicians I'm neither using an USB
mic, nor an integrated audio device. Most issues I experience are
caused by Ardour, it's not nearly as good programmed as claimed. For
example, the only reason for dropping my CRTs and buying a LCD display
was, that Ardour is unable to provide readable font sizes and at the
same time windows that fit into the screen resolution. First I bought
an inexpensive LCD display, but soon I noticed that I need an expensive
LCD display, so I bought an expensive one.

Don't get me wrong, I still continue using Ardour and other Linux audio
software, but for some software I maintain my own packages for Ubuntu
as well as for Arch Linux. It's an annoying roleplaying of upgrading and
downgrading packages and keeping intact soname dependencies +
consistently upgrading of hardware.

Actually I've done most of my "hobby" recordings with an iPad 2 and
yesterday I purchased an Apple iPad Pro 12,9“ (3. Generation) Wi-Fi 1
TB, that hopefully allows "professional" recordings, too.

While I experienced tons of pitfalls using the iPad 2, I decided
against _another_ upgrade of my Linux PC hardware and instead to order
a new iPad.

Most people are unable to poo money. I like the idea of open source,
unfortunately the hardware required for open source solutions is more
expensive than proprietary gear. You can't use the new GNOME with old
hardware etc. pp., or I for example own a Roland GR-55 and a Behringer
V-Amp. An equivalent to each of those devices would be a MOD with the
plugins we know.

Even the Roland solution is less expensive, than the MOD and provides a
way better self-consistent solution, let alone audio quality of the
effects and modeling. The Behringer V-Amp is even more cheaper, still
provides better audio effects and modeling than Linux plugins, but it
is missing MIDI and has got an unusable expression pedal and user
interface, something the Roland isn't missing.

The real problem with Ardour aren't Calf plugins and USB mic users. The
problem is that the idea of open source is good, but for several
reasons, in short, a missing infrastructure, missing money and missing
knowhow, it can't compete with modern proprietary solutions. It's a
dilemma, but it is as it is.

It makes more sense to mention that Ardour is very good for some kinds
of audio production and unusable for other kind of audio production,
instead of claiming that Ardour is the best software ever, but it
suffers from odd plugins and Ubuntu users using USB mics.

Regards,
Ralf
--
Kitty, Daisy & Lewis - The Game Is On