[ubuntu-studio-devel] Multiboot USB help

Erich Eickmeyer erich at ericheickmeyer.com
Fri Nov 9 15:17:54 UTC 2018

On Friday, November 9, 2018 2:00:33 AM PST Ross Gammon wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> In preparation for building my new test machine, I created a Multiboot
> USB with Debian, Ubuntu & Ubuntu Studio on it. I created it from my
> normal Ubuntu desktop with grub-install & grub-mkconfig (with i386
> target for maximum compatability), and then deleted everything in
> grub.cfg except for the first grub.d/00_header.
>
> Grub (with a manually produced grub.cfg) manages to boot Debian Live &
> Ubuntu Live as a loopback fine, but I have tried all sorts of things to
> get Ubuntu Studio Live booting and failed, and Mr Google has not helped.
> I get a kernel panic (kernel panic-not syncing: VFS: unable to mount
> root fs on unknown block). Maybe there is a special incantation for the
> low-latency kernel when running US Live? Maybe instead of the standard
> grub.d/00_header, there is special incantation I need from our livecd
> script?
>
> Has anybody tried this and succeeded?
>
> For reference, the grub.cfg (as it currently stands) is below.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ross

<snip>

Hi Ross,

It's been forever since I have had to make a multiboot USB. Ever since I got
one of these, life in the land of multiboot has been smooth sailing:

https://www.amazon.com/iodd-External-Encrypted-Enclosure-Virtual/dp/
B00S3G12E6/

I know, probably a heavy price to pay, and then you have to have the hard
drive or SSD to go in the enclosure, but it saved me a ton of heartache with
having to mess with GRUB.

Just my 2c, take it or leave it. :)

Erich