[ubuntu-studio-devel] wineasio interesting app

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sat Mar 31 13:07:08 UTC 2018

On Sat, 31 Mar 2018 14:11:49 +0200, pascalcmao at gmail.com wrote:
>Cadence is an interesting app but imo missing in US Wineasio.With
>Wineasio I can make music with garritan personal orchestra4 in US
>16.04.4 LTS.

Hi,

it's probably missing for hysterical raisins. The license is LGPL, see
https://sourceforge.net/projects/wineasio/ , I doubt it was always that
way. However, keep in mind that there is also wine-rt (LGPL), see the
wine-rt patch provided by the tarball at
https://aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.git/snapshot/wine-rt.tar.gz , as
well as wine-staging (LGPL), providing advanced wine capabilities, see
https://github.com/wine-staging/wine-staging/ .

I'm not intreasted in windows apps at all, if you are intreasted in
windows apps, you seriously should test all available solutions.

If you read a few threads, you'll notice that sometimes neither
wineasio, nor wine-rt does the job. IOW, if it works for your very
special setup with garritan personal orchestra4, it not necessarily
means, that it's worth the effort to maintain a package. I would
recommend to test it and to do research how much wanted it is by Linux,
especially Ubuntu users first.

The more packages you add, the harder it becomes to maintain/test all
packages. Since Ubuntu Studio suffers from missing manpower [1],
consider, if making Ubuntu Studio more bloated is a step into the right
direction.

To provide some packages a PPA approach might be a better solution.
Once the PPA becomes very popular, packages might move to the Ubuntu
Universe repository.

Arch Linux has got a similar approach. Instead of PPAs, Arch provides
the Arch User Repository and what is called "Universe" for Ubuntu is
named "Community" for Arch Linux. It's a proven strategy, much likely
better than adding tons of packages without any strategy at all.

Just my 2 Cents,
Ralf

[1] I'm offending the FreeBSD CoC here, see
https://www.freebsd.org/internal/code-of-conduct.html , but not the
Ubuntu CoC, see https://www.ubuntu.com/community/code-of-conduct .