[ubuntu-studio-devel] Candace

Erich Eickmeyer erich at ericheickmeyer.com
Fri Mar 30 17:06:12 UTC 2018

> On Mar 30, 2018, at 7:17 AM, Set Hallström <set at ubuntustudio.org> wrote:
>
> On March 30, 2018 4:12:34 PM GMT+02:00, Set Sakrecoer <public at sakrecoer.com> wrote:
>> On March 30, 2018 12:17:51 PM GMT+02:00, Lord Jonathan Moore
>> <jdm7dv at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I was looking at the replace-qjackctl-a blueprint and think Candace
>>> would
>>> be better it is faster to use than patchage. And looks more organized
>>> with
>>> a ladish session. I would like an opinion on ladish vs jack,
>>>

>>> Thanks,
>>>

>>> jdm7dv
>>
>> Hi Jonathan!
>>
>> Thanks for reaching out and taking the time to inveatigate the
>> question!
>>
>> I kindof lost touch with music production at the same time i lost touch
>> with ubuntu studio. I'm hoping to get chance to test Cadence. I think i
>> remember hearing ladish development was sort of abandoned, but i might
>> be very wrong...
>>
>> The rule of thumb is: if it fits in debian, it fits in UbuStu. This is
>> because we pull packages from debian. I hope someone else can fill the
>> many blanks.
>>
>> TL;DR i am not against it, but i'm not really fit for judging and i
>> hope more ppl will get involved in giving you feedback.
>> --
>>
>> --
>
> Yours,
> --
> Set Hallström AKA Sakrecoer

Jonathan,

This is a great idea as the Jack developers are recommending Cadence over qjackctl anymore, and patchage seems to be unmaintained. Besides, Cadence seems to work with the PulseAudio-Jack bridge better than anything I’ve seen.

FalkTX (the developer of KXStudio and Cadence) has Cadence in his KXStudio repos/PPA, which work directly with Debian iirc. Based on this, I’m fairly certain it can be run upstream to Debian and be made a part of the Ubuntu repos. I’ve been considering reaching-out to FalkTX to see if he would be willing to push Cadence upstream. Either way, I’m sure it can be done. Even Arch has it in their community repo.

As for getting it into 18.04, it’s probably too late at this time, but perhaps that’s something we work on for the next release cycle.

Thanks,
Erich