[ubuntu-studio-devel] Possible explanation of my problems with Ubuntu Studio 18.10 and video may require more than 768MB in some cases

Mike Squires michael.leslie.squires at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 22:42:07 UTC 2018

On 12/5/18 5:56 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the described performance issues could also happen, if a disc drive is
> broken. Sometimes strange things also happen, if the CMOS
> battery is getting low.

I ran the "unixbench" benchmark as a quick-and-dirty test of the system's overall
performance under Ubuntu Studio 16.04.  The "System Score" was 562.5 for a
single CPU, 2289 for all 8.  The specific test numbers were what I'd expect
from a system with 8 2 GHz Xeon cores (File copy 4096 was 568018 KBps single CPU,
975956 KBps with all 8).  I did notice that the percent of time in wait states was
always well below 1%, usually 0.2% or less.

I will be shortly upgrading memory to 20GB and CPUs to 3 GHz quad core.  I will
have to reorganize the drive array in order to be able to set up a test system,
that may happen after New Year's.

16.04 is working well for me, but I'd like to figure out why 18.xx and my
hardware don't want to coexist.

Thanks,

Mike Squries

were ;  --