[ubuntu-studio-devel] US still alive !

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Tue Apr 3 17:48:10 UTC 2018

On Tue, 2018-04-03 at 10:25 -0700, Len Ovens wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Apr 2018, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 3 Apr 2018 08:44:20 -0700 (PDT), Len Ovens wrote:
> > > I saw software installers mentioned somewhere too... so far the only
> > > reliable software installer I have tried is synaptic. the two big
> > > failures of other setups are:
> > >  - not passing package option questions to the user (jackd asks
> > > reatime or not for example)
> > >  - not informing the user when an install will remove already
> > > installed packages.
> >
> > The command line tool "apt" becomes better and better. For the averaged
> > user it already could replace a lot of the complicated "apt-foo" and
> > "dpkg" commands, unfortunately it suffers from a bad documentation.
>
> Sorry, I meant GUI software installers :)

Don't worry, you were clear about this. My point is, that nowadays an
inexperienced user still needs a GUI, my favourite GUI is synaptic, too,
but very soon "apt" should be as easy to use as a GUI. With a better
documentation it already could replace fishy GUIs nowadays. As you
already pointed out, GUIs tend to come with pitfalls. They lead us to
believe that there is no need to read a documentation, but then they are
doing things under the hood, they make us looking a proper charlie.