[ubuntu-studio-devel] US still alive !

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Tue Apr 3 15:44:20 UTC 2018

On Tue, 3 Apr 2018, eylul wrote:

> As for XFCE4 the human readable configuration is nice from a power user
> level. I personally like that (and to this date, it is the only desktop
> environment I created theme elements for, for this reason :) ) but at
> the same time is that accessible to our current userbase? Is this

While editable with a text editor is nice for iso creation, from a user's
POV, knowing where to edit what is complex enough to make this something
most people will not use. I personally have never used anything other than
the GUI settings after an install. Most settings involve at least two, but
more often three files to change. Trying to tell a user which of those
files overrides the others is already painful even if it is obvious to me.

I saw software installers mentioned somewhere too... so far the only
reliable software installer I have tried is synaptic. the two big failures
of other setups are:
  - not passing package option questions to the user (jackd asks reatime or
 	not for example)
  - not informing the user when an install will remove already installed
 	packages.

www.ovenwerks.net