[ubuntu-studio-devel] Candace

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Mon Apr 2 22:24:17 UTC 2018

Pulseaudio often isn't needed at all and furthermore it has got
counter-productive effects for most professional audio work. For
workarounds there is software such as apulse, see
https://github.com/i-rinat/apulse , let alone that some apps such as
Firefox support alsa, as well as jack, just build Firefox with
"ac_add_options --enable-alsa" and/or "ac_add_options --enable-jack".

If a user gets the setup right in the first place, there seldom is the
need for cheap workarounds such as a bridge to pulseaudio.

Note, it doesn't matter what distro I prefer to use myself, since I
report issues to upstream (real upstream of software, not Ubuntu's
upstream called Debian) and I help users using Ubuntu flavours. I don't
see posts from  Erich Eickmeyer on Ubuntu flavour user mailing lists
helping users.

Get in contact with thousands of users before making changes based on
articles you once read.

Choice is good, as long as the choice is well maintained. If you add
new packages without granting maintenance for those packages across
releases of Ubuntu (Studio), you harm users.