[ubuntu-studio-devel] Ubuntu Studio Controls

Ross Gammon rosco at ubuntustudio.org
Sun Jul 23 14:37:21 UTC 2017

Hi Len,

I just successfully installed an Artful 1704 VirtualBox VM this
afternoon, and installed the daily build of ubuntustudio-controls
(https://code.launchpad.net/~ubuntustudio-dev/+archive/ubuntu/autobuild/+build/12643119)
to test out the graphical bits.

It is all looking great!

Some comments:

1. In the "help", I am not sure of the "if requested" wording for the
realtime setting.

2. To test out what might be meant by that, I thought I would fiddle
with the realtime setting. But it is no longer there! us-controls tells
me that RealTime is enabled. If I fire up QJackCtl, and untick RT there,
us-controls does not update its status (with any combination of opening
and closing QJackCtl & us-controls). I see from the README that I
probably should have logged out. Should the help dialogue mention this?
Note: all of this is done without Jack actually started (as I was too
lazy to choose higher later latency settings in the VM & to test a reboot).

3. As you can tell, after all this time I am still a bit of a Linux
Audio noob. Which brings me to documentation. I assume the README &
ROADMAP files need updating. You should probably add yourself to the
AUTHORS too! https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuStudioControls has
needed an update for a long time. There used to be a manpage
(http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/trusty/en/man1/ubuntustudio-controls.1.html)
which references https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuStudio/SettingsApp which
is wildly out of date. I suppose the manpage is only really needed if
users might try and run the scripts from the terminal. The us-controls
launchpad page has a link to a wiki which doesn't exist
(http://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuStudio/UbuntuStudioControls). There is a
useful links section at the bottom of
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuStudio/ControlsRedesign which probably
contains some documentation to assist with producing a new wiki page.
Are there any others?

Next I will upgrade the real hardware machine in the basement, and give
it a proper spin.

I hope others out there reading this might be encouraged to give it a
spin. Comments gratefully received.

Well done Len!

Cheers,

Ross