[ubuntu-studio-devel] Audio

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Mon Jan 16 19:10:54 UTC 2017

On Mon, 16 Jan 2017, Ross Gammon wrote:

> To my way of thinking, Ubuntu Studio has pretty good defaults. I can install
> Ubuntu Studio and get straight into audio work. Just try doing that with a
> standard Debian or Ubuntu install!

Yes and no. It is hard enough to get going that some people will go
searching and find lots of very old information that effectively makes
audio very hard to get right after applying.

Second point is that there is a new piece of hardware floating around
called a USB mic. There are a lot of them, and they look fancy being
modeled after a "studio mic" and sound much better than any other
"Computer mic". These do not work OOTB, they do not work with any GUI
based set up. The only way to get them going is from command line. These
mics do work just fine in an av computer like a Mac... I am not sure how
windows handles this (I am told it does not, but relies on the software
using it to do so)

I have been running for close to 3 years on a number of systems around
the house where all Audio devices are usable at the same time. Not just my
computers but also those belonging to computer nonmiterate people. It
just works day after day with no hickups at all. It does not choke on
freewheel mode as our persent system does.

I have a very clear vision of where I am going with the audio part of this
and will make it that way. When I am done I would like people to try it
out and try and break it. At that time I would be willing to talk some
more.... And if people wish to change the gui, be my guest.

I have spent (and watched other people spend) much time on IRC getting
getting people's audio to work. I truely believe I have a solution to real
OOTB running. But we will see. It is much easier to remove things not needed
than to add things later (as I have found).

www.ovenwerks.net