[ubuntu-studio-devel] Audio

Hank Stanglow stanglow at yandex.com
Sun Jan 15 22:02:07 UTC 2017

On 01/15/2017 01:10 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> The clueless user wants the Apple approach, the experienced user wants the Linux approach. Both have in common to follow a clear KISS principle. If you mix both approaches, the result is crap.
I must agree with Ralf on his assessment. When I first came to Linux is
had a difficult time understanding what a sound server was let alone why
there were so many In Linux. Win/Mac users never encounter this concept.
Even now that I've been using Linux for years I think this new GUI tool
is overly complicated. Is the user doing audio production with a DAW?
Then start Jack automatically with sane defaults and bridge ALSA and
Pulse. Is the user primarily using media players to listen to music and
watch videos? Default to Pulse. The rest, IMO, would be considered a
system tweak for advanced users (and should be clearly labeled as such).

That said, I think it is great to have a set-up wizard like this and I
am delighted to see it happening. Personally, I do all my audio using
wine-rt and it would be great is there was a setting to automatically
set this up as well, and I'm sure a lot of users coming from Windows
would appreciate it.

Keep up the good work.