[ubuntu-studio-devel] Seeds change

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Thu Apr 6 19:50:05 UTC 2017

On Thu, 6 Apr 2017, Len Ovens wrote:

> The seeds have been changed which will affect our next iso, but I think the
> meta packages have to be regenerated to go with it. I am not sure how to do
> that.

I should add this is in response to LP: #1672412 which will make
lmms-vst-server not work. It will also effectivey make lp: #1182604 go
away... though not in the way the OP would want I am sure.

My opinion is that anything that drags in wine should be avoided. Wine is
a great package, but it does cause stability problems with the OS and (as
I found out) may replace some of the packages the n-vidia driver
installs... and maybe others. This causes a definite performance hit as
well as stability issues. The user can install this packge at any time if
they choose to do so.

The wine package of old was 32bit only, I don't know if the new one has a
64bit version as well but it should as windows has moved to 64bit libs.
This leaves a VST host with a set of problems:
 	There are two vst standards vst2 and vst3. None of the linux vst host
 	support vst3 at this time, though the headers have in the last month been
 	released under a dual license one of which is GPL3 so I would expect that
 	will change at least for lxvst.

 	vst-32 will not run on 64bit systems anyway

 	vst-64 will not run on 32bit systems either

 	unless multiarch libs are used (think bigger iso size)

 	The user has the confusion of vsts that work on one ubuntustudio
 	and not another, think unsolvable bug reports like lp: #1182604

 	Introducing instability for a small number of uses that in any
 	case is not complete anyway is just broken.

www.ovenwerks.net