[ubuntu-studio-devel] Backports

Ross Gammon rosco2 at ubuntu.com
Fri May 27 19:30:16 UTC 2016

On 05/27/2016 01:23 PM, Kaj Ailomaa wrote:
> Yes, I'm planning on adding a one-time popup information for
> ubuntustudio-controls to be run at login, but that will only be helping
> those who already have it installed (which all Ubuntu Studio users will
> have, unless they uninstalled it).

If this can be easily done, that would be great. But if it is hard, then
I am not sure that it is really required. I assume we would need an SRU
to get it into Trusty & Xenial.

> Since Ubuntu users aren't used to backports for their multimedia
> applications, it's important that they know the risks, and that they can
> deselect backports.

It used to be that it was a bit dangerous, but these days Ubuntu has
very sensible defaults for Backports. Basically the backports repository
is already in sources.list, but to install from there you must do it
manually for each package. Unless you set up "pinning", and if you do
that, then you probably know what you are doing.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuBackports

> We should spread this information quite soon on our web site and social
> channels, as well as the user mail list.

An announcement that the backport is available is necessary to let
people know they are there. And it wouldn't hurt to warn them that they
should research if they really want the new features first, and that if
the new version uses a new file format, they may not be able to swap
files with people using an older version.