[ubuntu-studio-devel] package proposals - publishing

Kaj Ailomaa zequence at mousike.me
Fri May 6 14:50:39 UTC 2016

On Fri, May 6, 2016, at 04:02 PM, Len Ovens wrote:
> On Fri, 6 May 2016, Kaj Ailomaa wrote:
>
> > For now, publishing seems the best fit, though in fact there is no
> > correct meta for it yet.
>
> Now that you bring it up... it seems that there was a sense that:
>
> Publishing - means the distribution of finished product, which might be
> video,audio,graphic or book or whatever.
>
> Writing - means writing... making books, or other written works.
>
> When the pubishing metea was first envisioned, it was thought to be
> making
> books. But this is because most of us at the time were audio-centric.
> (also because we had very few of us too)
>
> As most of these would end up in "Office", perhaps rather than trying to
> massage the menu to split these things out of office, we could just
> change
> the name of the Office sub menu to something that indicates more writing
> tools are included as we have with "Graphics". Perhaps "Office and
> Writing
> tools" or something. Also Give it one of our own style icons.

The metas currently do correlate with the menu, but it's just
coincidence at this point. The menu should use freedesktop
categorization, while the metas are more workflow focused in some way.
Writing is a workflow, but the tool types used are for Office or
Publishing (publishing is a subcategory for both graphics and office).

So, the name of the meta doesn't have to correlate with names in the
meta. ubuntustudio-writing would not add a menu item called "writing",
but I kind of like your suggestions renaming the Office category could
be renamed to Office and Writing, so worth looking into IMO.