[ubuntu-studio-devel] package proposals - publishing

Set Hallstrom set at ubuntustudio.org
Fri May 6 10:37:11 UTC 2016

Hi,

On 2016-05-05 22:39, autumna wrote:
> I added 2 more software packages to the wiki page under "graphics" for
> the publishing related workflows.
>
> (add) calibre: Calibre is a book managing software, but it also happens
> to have a well designed epub editor. To my knowledge there currently
> isn't any software available on ubuntu studio to make or edit ebooks.

I like that. I have poor experience with it tbh, tried it when my
step-mom got an electronic bookreader, but it wasn't recognized so i
ended up removing it. I saw you could convert formats, but i didn't know
it had publication capabilities. I thought it was a sort of shotwell for
managing e-books files. There seems to be quite a jungle of formats and
devices out there... I've been hoping scribus will implement epub export
and i know they are working on it, but it seems to be taking quite sometime

> (add) pdf-shuffler: There is currently no way to rearrange an existing
> pdf, or merge two pdfs without importing the whole thing into
> libreoffice or graphics software which can mess up formatting. Useful
> when you are asked to glue the application form and your portfolio into
> one file.

That is also a good idea. Never thought of that scenario, but i guess it
makes a lot of sense.

--
Set Hallstrom AKA Sakrecoer