[ubuntu-studio-devel] package proposals - publishing

Kaj Ailomaa zequence at mousike.me
Fri May 6 06:42:17 UTC 2016

On Thu, May 5, 2016, at 11:11 PM, Jimmy Sjölund wrote:
> On Thu, May 5, 2016 at 22:39, autumna <'autumna at gmail.com'> wrote:
> I added 2 more software packages to the wiki page under "graphics" for
> the publishing related workflows.
>
> (add) calibre: Calibre is a book managing software, but it also happens
> to have a well designed epub editor. To my knowledge there currently
> isn't any software available on ubuntu studio to make or edit ebooks.
>
> I've only done a quick glance on the homepage and didn't get a feel for
> what the features are. Is it a writing software as well as publishing and
> converting to ebook format, or is it just the publishing part? We
> discussed before 15.10 about adding a writing software and where to put
> it. I was looking into a couple of candidates where my suggestion was
> Plume Creator. It was too late to include them and I had too little time
> to contribute to 16.04 and the writing stuff was left on hold.
> (add) pdf-shuffler: There is currently no way to rearrange an existing
> pdf, or merge two pdfs without importing the whole thing into
> libreoffice or graphics software which can mess up formatting. Useful
> when you are asked to glue the application form and your portfolio into
> one file.
> I've only done this in terminal but understand it would be helpful for
> many users. I get to do it for my GF as well as the process to do it in a
> Mac is really really bad...

We are still using the publishing meta, and there have been no plans to
remove it, so I've adjusted the two recent proposals to be incuded in
the publishing meta, which is where they belong
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuStudio/PackageSelection/yakkety.

Publishing is a standardized freedesktop sub category of graphics, so it
makes total sense to have it, as is, in the menu too. Though our metas
don't necessarily need to reflect on freedesktop categories, it is
actually what they are doing currently (photography is also a sub
category of graphics).