[ubuntu-studio-devel] Audio plugins

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Wed May 4 22:10:02 UTC 2016

On Wed, 4 May 2016 14:26:36 -0700 (PDT), Len Ovens wrote:

>>> There isn't one? Q is for adding a sine wave generator to your board
>>> in case it doesn't have one...
>>
>> For a parametric EO, the Q parameter determines how much frequencies
>> are affected around the selected centre frequency. You might want to
>> read the thread at LAU about the "Tilt EQ" too.
>
>It was a joke. One of things most filter designers try to avoid is
>oscilation from too high of a Q. However Q in a filter is the same
>term as that used in a transmitter tank circuit. (I was talking about
>the analog world of course, digital EQ can do unrealistic high Q)

Ok, self-oscillation is another issue, English isn't my native
language. I also struggled with the English language when I tried
to explain why a shelving filter, wich starts at a give frequency, could
be considered a shelving filter to both sides of the frequencies, with
an imaginary center frequency. Fons found the correct words, but they
don't explain it that easy, as I tried to explain it.