[ubuntu-studio-devel] Backports for Ubuntu Studio Xenial

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Wed May 4 00:12:46 UTC 2016

On Tue, 3 May 2016, Kaj Ailomaa wrote:

> On Tue, May 3, 2016, at 06:33 PM, Len Ovens wrote:
>> The only two packages That may be worth doing are jackd and calf plugins
>> (provided calf can be done with GCC4), qjackctl is not compatable with
>> lib
>> versions in T. However, anyone who does audio with Jack has already
>> figured out the right workaround for jack and knows to avoid calf reverb.
>>
>> Maybe things are different in graphics or video though.
>
> Backports is not for fixing bugs. That should be done as SRUs. If
> there's a calf bug that can blow speakers, please at least let us know
> what the bug is so someone can prepare a patch and do a SRU.

It is hard to find out which version of Calf it was... the problem has
been fixed by now and mention of it has gone too. Trying to find bits
about it.
https://www.bountysource.com/issues/1337886-reverb-gone-wild
Is all I can google so it is probably one of those things that was all
over IRC till it was fixed. Now it is just a quick comment to be using a
newer version of calf.

Even the latest version of the calf eq does not
seem to have correct level controls when using the generic ones. (both in
carla or ardour) The calf GUI shows a nice -36 to +36 dB (maybe a bit wide
but whatever) open it in a generic interface (which is what automation
would see) and it is raw gain shown as dB, so the whole 0 to -36dB is one
step while the 0 to +36dB range is 90% (or more) of the range. Qtractor
shows the calf eq the same.

Interestingly enough, Calf reverb gets levels right (or at least
consistant).

www.ovenwerks.net