[ubuntu-studio-devel] Audio plugins

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Tue May 3 21:18:12 UTC 2016

On Tue, 3 May 2016 22:54:44 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>PS:
>
>Regarding virtual analog devices, I should mention e.g. the Boss Turbo
>Overdrive and the Ibanez Blubber, tow devices I own. There are much
>better analog devices available, but non of the virtual Linux or even
>proprietary emulations of the better devices, reach the amazing sound
>of those two analog devices, let alone the sound of the quality of
>the devices they claim to emulate. Vintage Hughes & Kettner analog
>devices directly connected to a mixer sound better than e.g. the
>discontinued Boss Turbo Overdrive, but no emulation of really cult
>overdrives + speaker and amp emulation are able to hold candle to even
>the Boss Turbo overdrive and similar, even when directly connected to
>the mixe, while they are (e.g. Turbo Overdrive) build to connect to an
>amp, recorded by a mic.
>
>Special devices, such as the Blubber, a Wah that is more expensive than
>a very old original CryBaby on Ebay nowadays, are completely beyond
>reach of virtual emulations, either Linux, or proprietary.

PPS:

There are expensive analog remakes of the Boss Turbo Overdrive
available nowadays, while high quality, better than any Linux
emulation, digital stand alone emulations of overdrives + amps +
speakers are available on the cheap. Most musician willing to pay for
good external gear aren't audiophile, they buy this effects, because
there are no good emulations available. On my iPad I noticed a good
digital reverb, that might be able to hold candle to the best and the
most expensive digital stand alone reverbs for many purposes, but it's
eating 100% of the resources, IOW it would even eat 90% of the
resources provided by most tower PCs. A plugin, is a plugin, is a
plugin, is a plugin.