[ubuntu-studio-devel] wily werewolf audacity alsa sound distorted

lukefromdc at hushmail.com lukefromdc at hushmail.com
Wed Mar 30 17:24:22 UTC 2016

Audacity can set up its own audio device using in Preferences>Devices and will
default to using Pulseaudio. On some setups Pulseaudio still has issues for
Audacity.  To actually be using ALSA directly you have to set it up in Preferences.

First, make sure that nothing else is using sound, so Pulseaudio won't hold an
exclusive lock on the soundcard. Then in  Preferences>Devices you have "host"
which will be ALSA but also "playback" and "recording". It is those two that need
to be set to use the soundcard directly, usually that is the line ending in
(hw: 0,0) . If you only see (hw:0,1) and higher and you cannot get sound from them,
somthing else is playing sound and holding the sound card. There is a PAsuspender
program available somewhere that can shut Pulseaudio down temporarily for
situations like this, but usually it's enough to shut off system sounds in overall
sound configuration and make sure nothing else is playing.