[ubuntu-studio-devel] The actually most FAQ at the moment isn't answered by the Ubuntu Studio FAQ

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Thu Jun 30 05:05:07 UTC 2016

Hi,

14.04 is close to the EOL, 15.10, too, so it's not surprising that
people sent requests about how to upgrade to the next LTS.

Since editing Ubuntu Wikis became ridiculous complicated for absolutely
no valid reason, I don't edit Ubuntu Wikis anymore. The pleaded reason
is grotesque, since even more popular Wikis, than Ubuntu Wikis work
without making editing complicated.

Consider to add the answer when and why by default an upgrade to the
next LTS is possible and how to do it before the next dot release to
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuStudio/FAQ .

It is a frequently ask question on at least Ubuntu Studio users,
Xubuntu users and Ubuntu users.

On Ubuntu Studio users I explained it in May and right now I do it
again (on other lists I do it too ;). The problem right now is, that
another user always corrects my advices, e.g.

  https://help.ubuntu.com/lts/serverguide/installing-upgrading.html

  "For further stability of a LTS release there is a slight change in
  behaviour if you are currently running a LTS version. LTS systems are
  only automatically considered for an upgrade to the next LTS via
  do-release-upgrade with the first point release. So for example 14.04
  will only upgrade once 16.04.1 is released. If you want to update
  before, e.g. on a subset of machines to evaluate the LTS upgrade for
  your setup the same argument as an upgrade to a dev release has to be
  used via the -d switch."

... by another advice, without giving a reason for this advice, that
differs from the above mentioned common approach. It would be wise to
avoid confusion by providing the correct hint to the FAQ, so
inexperienced user could follow this advice without doubts.

Either make access to the Wiki "normal", then I will continue editing
Wiki/help pages or at least care about frequently ask questions by
following the Ubuntu Studio user list and add important notes yourself.

Since Ubuntu Studio is a release model distro with a user-friendly, not
user-centric approach and people within the next time must do a release
upgrade, it's the most frequently asked question at the moment.

And "at the moment" means "at the moment", not after 14.04 is EOL.

Regards,
Ralf