[ubuntu-studio-devel] ubuntu-studio-devel Digest, Vol 110, Issue 5

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Tue Jun 14 09:02:45 UTC 2016

On Tue, 14 Jun 2016 10:10:52 +0200, Set Hallstrom wrote:
>On 2016-06-13 20:44, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> PS: Assumed the CoF is else were on the website, then replacing it by
>> the category icons makes sense
>
>In fact it made me realize that i didn't ask for anything to illustrate
>the first section of the feature tour, that outlines what U-S is more
>broadly. That would be the place for the logo as placed in Geirdal's
>proposals. It would also be a great place for a background that is
>purely Mandelbrot-based.

I not necessarily agree with the fractal effect idea, but this is a
matter of taste. Regarding the idea with the CoF I agree.

However, consider that a fractal effect easily could become like a
tutorial video were the talked explanations become a melody by using
http://kokkinizita.linuxaudio.org/linuxaudio/zita-at1-doc/quickguide.html

The fractal effect represents some kind of incense stick Goa techno
culture. Were is the skater street style, the Bauhaus
Mondrian Ikea middle-class style, the youngster Manga cosplay style,
the ...

For art I don't dislike the fractal effect per se, but I dislike the
idea of a biased representation of a tool for all arts.

If the fractal effect doesn't repeat a picture of pencil 10,000 times,
but instead the fractal would show category related art of incense stick
Goa techno culture + skater street style + Bauhaus Mondrian Ikea
middle-class style + youngster Manga cosplay style + foo and bar
fashion, this might be better. 10,000 different pictures inside a
fractal, yes, perhaps. 10,000 times repeating 1 picture, no.

>>> The background pictures of the three graphics have nothing to do
>>> with video, graphics and audio.
>
>That is the point i tried to make of merging the abstract Mandelbrot
>patterns with something more figurative like the icons. But it could be
>3d model?
>
>Some suggestions:
>Video
>http://www.blendswap.com/blends/tagged/camera
>http://www.blendswap.com/blends/tagged/lens
>(preferably one that has no brand)
>Graphics:
>http://www.blendswap.com/blends/tagged/pencil
>Audio:
>http://www.blendswap.com/blends/tagged/speakers
>http://www.blendswap.com/blends/tagged/music

Those suggestions are very good. Perhaps the artist could provide
something with a fractal effect. If I would be the artist, I would do
something based on those suggestions without fractal effect.

>Although, we have to be careful not to clutter it too much to preserve
>the readability.

This seems to work without issues, due to the colouration.

>AI'm not sure it is a good idea to start moving the colors
>around.

I agree, you should stay with the colouration.

Regards,
Ralf