[ubuntu-studio-devel] Shimmer and numix (was: unmet dependencies)

Set Hallstrom set at ubuntustudio.org
Thu Jul 28 11:48:33 UTC 2016

Hi Ross! :)
Good to have you back, hope you had a nice holiday!

On 2016-07-27 20:07, Ross Gammon wrote:
> This has been resolved.

\o/

> For future reference, you can see the germination output of the seeds
> for Yakkety here:
> http://people.canonical.com/~ubuntu-archive/germinate-output/ubuntustudio.yakkety/all
> It helps to work out what is going on.

Thank you, i had no idea of that page!

> The latest murrine-themes has been synced from Debian now (which was
> actually on my todo list before I went on holiday - yey, one crossed off
> - I love it when someone does the work when you are on holiday).
> For your information, some packages, and mainly ones that had Ubuntu
> specific modifications (giving the e.g. ubuntu1 extension to the version
> number), do not get automatically synced from Debian. They need to be
> merged manually. In this particular case, the Ubuntu specific
> modifications were dropped with a manual sync. From now on, the latest
> murrine-themes should sync across from Debian automatically.

That explains a lot, thank you! :)

I've been looking into the theme thing with krytarik. As is now, we ship
ubuntu studio with greybird as default theme. Last time we discussed the
theme/look of the desktop, i want to remember many of us agreed on
finding a darker theme.

http://packages.ubuntu.com/yakkety/murrine-themes
http://packages.ubuntu.com/yakkety/shimmer-themes

Both Murrine and Shimmer have greybird (our default theme atm). But
shimmer is shipped with Numix. And Numix is a pretty excellent theme.

The cons as i see them for Numix are these:

- The way focused windows differentiate themselves from other (same as
greybird)
- The very thin window border makes it hard to catch the corners to
resize (same as gryebird)

The pros:

- It hear it is well maintained, like gerybird.
- While it is dark, unlike most dark-themes you never get problems with
webpage searchboxes displaying white text on white background.

The default highlight color of numix is red, but krytarik found a fix
from xubuntu unicorn to address this and let us have ubuntustudio blue
instead.

So, if i sound like i am pushing for a shift from murrine to shimmer and
for shipping 16.10 with numix as default theme and window header, you
got me alright. :D But of course, we need to agree on it first.

What are your thoughts, team?

Yours,

--
Set Hallstrom aka sakrecoer