[ubuntu-studio-devel] Would Ubuntu Studio Team be Interested in Partnering with New England Conservatory?

lukefromdc at hushmail.com lukefromdc at hushmail.com
Sun Jul 10 17:57:58 UTC 2016

There is one limitation to "If the community prefers to use Google Hangouts, it would be highly
counterproductive if you did not, particularly if you are a involved in the work being discussed."
That is that some people do not have Google accounts and in fact some people cannot make
them due to the "real names" policy and the Google policy of asking for SMS verification in
cases where they don't like the browser, the IP address, or think the personal information isn't
someone's real name.

That may not apply if all those who would be actually participating in the discussion already
have Google accounts, but would apply to a discussion including one or more persons who
do not have or want Google accounts for other reasons, or simply cannot make them. That's
not a matter of whether or not to oppose non-free services, but rather a matter of picking
a communications method that is physically usable by all participants.

This is not about me, as most of my work these days is on MATE plus testing kdenlive git.
Don't worry about me not being on Google. Instead my advice is to  figure out if all the folks
who would be using the  "hangout" already have accounts or not and go forward from there.

Yes, Google has issues-but if that led to ad networks using Ubuntustudio instead of Windows
to make their ads, or to the NSA using UbuntuStudio to make their presentations to politicans
I don't see how that would harm the project.