[ubuntu-studio-devel] Call for Ardour Backport Testing

Set Hallstrom set at ubuntustudio.org
Tue Jul 5 17:59:30 UTC 2016

Hi all,

On 2016-06-28 19:39, Ross Gammon wrote:
> I think it would be a good idea to put the message out on the US
> blog, and forum. Maybe that we could state that:

> 1. we have just started on the work, and the first one (ardour) will
> hopefully be available soon.

> 2. Backports have to be manually installed by the user (linking to
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuBackports), and that users
> should be careful that they definitely need the new version, because
> the new version may be better, but also could have some new bugs not
> found yet, and because sometimes the new version might use a newer
> data format that is not backwards compatible.

> 3. That we always need help to create and test the backports, linking
> to: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuStudio/BackportsList (status of the
> work) https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuStudio/BackportsHowToHelp (how to
> get set up to backport - generic details of the process)
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuStudio/Backports (the Ubuntu Studio
> specific process)

How about this?

cfhowlett, any input? some one care for checking my plurals and grammar?
:) Am I Forgetting something or Misscomunicating something? It's a bit
"meaty" (lots of text), but, in terms of implications it isn't the
"simplest" process there is either i guess..

Anny suggestion is welcome really :)

Title: Backports, the benefits and the consequences.

Ubuntu Studio is happy to announce that backports are going to be
rolling out soon and that the first one is Ardour. Backports
(https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuBackports) are newer version of
applications, rolled back to "older" version of the System. For example
in the case of Ardour, Ubuntu Studio users running 16.04 will be able to
have the latest version available in 16.10 /without/ upgrading the
entire system. This is a great thing, and with great power comes great
responsibility: Backports have to be manually installed by the user, and
the user will be required to carefully and think about the possible
consequences:
[strong]The new version may be better, but it could also have some new
bugs not found yet, and sometimes the new version might use a newer data
format that is _not backwards compatible_.[/strong]

This means that if you are in the middle of a project, backporting your
tools can potentially compromise your projects deadline, or worse.
Whatever mistake you do, you can of course always rollback, but
remember: *Better safe than sorry* : _always_ back-up your project data
before installing a backport.

In order to be able to provide you with backports for other pieces of
software shipped with Ubuntu Studio, the devel-team could need a hand.
If you have a little spare-time that you can share with the community,
here is how you can help out:

You will find a list of the status of the work here:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuStudio/BackportsList (

Here are instructions on how to get set up to backport with generic
details of the process:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuStudio/BackportsHowToHelp

And here is the Ubuntu Studio specific process:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuStudio/Backports

Please feel welcome and invited to ask the Ubuntu Studio devel-team for
more details, help, instructions or to suggest a package for backporting
by stopping by our freenode IRC channel #ubuntustudio-devel:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuStudio/IRC

or dropping an email on the ubuntustudio-devel mailing list: