[ubuntu-studio-devel] -controls

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Wed Dec 7 05:13:37 UTC 2016

Don't try to solve user problems that don't exist!

Consider to join the Ubuntu users and some Ubuntu flavour users mailing
lists.

On Tue, 6 Dec 2016 16:09:39 -0800 (PST), Len Ovens wrote:
>Audio setup:
> 	Master audio interface
> 	Second choice master (disable unless master is USB)
> 	sample rate (default to 48000)
> 	On USB Audio plugin set USB AI to jack master enable
> 	Choose if other audio IFs should autorun zita-ajbridge
> 	Jack runs at boot enable (this should be default for Studio)

Apart from the fact, that it might conflict with Linux howtos, a
beginner would be overwhelmed. What is a master interface, what is zita?

What files will be overwritten?
.config/rncbc.org/QjackCtl.conf? /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf?
/etc/default/rtirq? ...?

Less is more. An advantage of Linux are human readable and
writeable configurations and a good documentation. Another advantage is
that Linux requires some amount of self-responsibility, such as reading
the fine manual.

Constructs like "Second choice master (disable unless master is USB)"
are an indication for a bad GUI running wild.

GUIs not necessarily make things easier for the inexperienced user,
they could make things more complicated.

> 	/etc/init.d/ubuntustudio-controls would be the actual file
> that set system things during boot

Ubuntu now only supports systemd and no other init system,
so /etc/init.d is an approach against the Ubuntu policy. Ubuntu
flavours must follow the Ubuntu policy. It is planned to replace all
init scripts by systemd units, not to add additional init scripts. The
latest release even doesn't give the choice between upstart and
systemd anymore, only systemd is available. There still is init script
compatibility, but systemd is not only the default, in addition upstart
can't be chosen anymore, it doesn't exist anymore.

Regards,
Ralf

--
Marge Simpson: We used to call ourselves the Cool Moms.

Bart Simpson: There is nothing cooler than calling yourself cool.