[ubuntu-studio-devel] i386 EOL plans for Ubuntu Studio?

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Fri Dec 2 15:32:17 UTC 2016

On Mon, 14 Nov 2016, Bryan Quigley wrote:

>> i386 - To be clear I mean any 32-bit x86 platform (usually AMD/Intel/VIA).

The advantage of 32 bit hw is that it lasts much longer than newer
"engineered to fail" 64bit HW. The disadvantage of 32bit hw  is that it
lasts much longer than newer "engineered to fail" 64bit HW.

32 bit hw is half of the hw I own and use (5 boxes... maybe more than
half), I would like to keep using them untill they die. This push by
Ubuntu to stop suporting 32 bit HW is likely to push me out of using
Ubuntu as a distro. There are many audio tasks that older hw does quite
well. In fact there is no good replacement of PCI audio interfaces at this
time. USB audio is very much second (or third when used with Intel USB
chip sets) rate even compared to PCI "semi-pro" hardware.

I would like to see at least the lowlatency kernel supported with no end
of life plans at this time.

This support of product churn and it's filling up the land fill/poisoning
children in third world countries seems to me to go against what Ubuntu
was supposed to be all about.

32 bit hardware is not dead by a long shot. In fact some 32bit hw
outperforms 64bit hw latency wise (important for some audio work)

www.ovenwerks.net