[ubuntu-studio-devel] support for wine-rt out-of-box?

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Sat Aug 20 14:45:13 UTC 2016

On Sat, 20 Aug 2016, Set Hallstrom wrote:

> I'm not 100% sure, but i think wine isn't distributed because of the
> license. However, your idea of creating good instruction on how to set

The main reason we have not included wine is a lib problem. I do not know
where things are at now, but in the past wine has been a 32bit application
that required a whole set of 32bit libraries. This makes it not work for a
64bit ISO (wine has to be installed after the ISO install). Wine did used
to be included in Studio in the past when most HW was 32 bit and people
often installed the 32bit version even on 64 bit machines... but that is
not the case any more. Machines with more memory and plugins like
drumgizmo that use more memory than 32bit can deal with make the 64 bit
install the best deal. (drumgizmo can be run on a 32bit machine with a
smaller drumkit)

Even with a 64bit wine, most of the windows applications people want to
run are still 32bit. People have paid for that SW and are not willing to
pay all over a again for a newer one.

Adding Wine or Wine-RT to Studio is not a smooth easy thing to do.

www.ovenwerks.net