[ubuntu-studio-devel] Please help testing ardour5 for yakkety

Kaj Ailomaa zequence at mousike.me
Sat Aug 20 09:18:54 UTC 2016

On Sat, Aug 20, 2016, at 11:10 AM, Ross Gammon wrote:
> On 08/19/2016 09:15 AM, Kaj Ailomaa wrote:
> > Actually, not all of the packages are published on the PPA yet, but for
> > yakkety it's just a matter of minutes. xenial should follow within an
> > hour, with any luck.
> >
> > And, to be clear, you need to add the PPA no matter how you decide to
> > test. So, at the end, always do
> >
> > sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntustudio-dev/dev-testing
> > sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
> >
> Thanks for looking after this Kaj. It's been a busy week for me.
> It took me a while to get my Yakkety VM up-to-date. Ardour 5 (ppa
> version) installs fine for me. I ran the Manual Test Case
> (http://packages.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/milestones/361/builds/117793/testcases/1672/results)
> for Ardour, and had no problems until the end when I was fiddling with
> Jack to get some sound, and the VM crashed. Probably just the VM's fault
> (and because I didn't set up "High" latency first). I will try again
> over the weekend with real hardware.
> Do you plan to produce a new version for sponsorship in Debian (I saw
> your commit)? Or I could help take care of that?

I've never done that before, so if you would like to take care of it,
that would be great. As soon as it's in Debian we should do a
request-sync for it, and then update the meta again.

Apparently ardour 5.1 is soon to be released with some bug fixes, which
would be good to do a request-sync for as well. But, I'm not sure about
the schedule, so could be it's worth waiting for that first. That might
mean we need to update the Debian package ourselves, if we are in a
hurry (depending on when the maintainer is able to do it). Len might
know more about when ardour 5.1 is released.

> By the way. I subscribed you (and the sponsors team) to my packaging of
> the new package list version (blueprint) of the -meta package (but
> forgot to ping you):
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntustudio-meta/+bug/1608275
> I will re-base this on top of your recent "drop Ardour" version, but it
> would be nice to get this in before the final beta. Or would you prefer
> to wait until after the "restore Ardour" event?
> Cheers,
> Ross

I think that bug would be more appropriate if you needed a sponsor
outside of the team. As long as I'm able to do uploads, you just need to
ping me when an update to the meta is needed. The meta package is always
built by the uploader directly, which makes the procedure quite simple.

I will be able to do uploads after FF without much problems (uploads
will only be for bug fixes). It is only when we hit Final Freeze when
things get troublesome.

More information about the ubuntu-studio-devel mailing list