[ubuntu-studio-devel] Nautilus always resets itself to icon-view upon, closing

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Fri Apr 22 20:04:09 UTC 2016

On Fri, 22 Apr 2016 12:35:09 -0700 (PDT), Len Ovens wrote:
>Yes I can confirm that nautilus has become less useful than in 14.04
>(even) I guess it must be a gnome application where removing
>functionallity is considered progress.
>
>So nautilus is effectively broken/non-standard/not DE-agnostic/not
>recomended for xfce.
>
>I can also confirm that thunar fails for me after about 4 file renames.

I switched to openbox a long time ago and I use a selection of apps
such as spacefm, roxterm and other, however, GTK3 upstream already
introduced the next fun. The current official GTK3 is broken. The best
bet is to use as many GTK2 apps as possible and now the bomb drops,
keep old themes for GTK2 apps and expect that old themes won't work
with GTK3 anymore, OTOH new themes are a PITA. I don't expect that this
will be fixed, I guess apart from a few bugs, breakage is intended.
However, some coders switch from GTK to Qt, but there are also issues
with Qt.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/qt5ct/ doesn't work correctly and yes,
I set the environment variable.

$ echo $QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME
qt5ct

This is on an Arch Linux install, but soon or later Debian and Ubuntu
will be affected from upstream insanity too.

Now people start dropping Xfce4, however, it's impossible to get rid
of all bugs, even openbox, i3 etc. with apps that don't depend to a
desktop environment suffer from GTK upstream.

Yet there seems to be no way to solve the desktop issue. The Linux
desktop is broken.