[ubuntu-studio-devel] Off-topic: Elementary OS

lukefromdc at hushmail.com lukefromdc at hushmail.com
Mon Sep 7 17:53:07 UTC 2015

That is so true! For years I used Audacity in UbuntuStudio to make radio pieces
about exactly that sort of thing. Someone mentioned the "loudness wars," well
you would not believe how much compression is needed for a low powered station
(especially AM) when there is no analog compressor/limiter in the line to the
transmitter! The maximum level is controlled easily enough by the master volume
but without boatloads of compression you can lose half your broadcast range.

Radio amateurs take this to the extreme, they used flat-out clipping followed by
aggressive filtration to limit frequency range as far back as the early 1960's. This
gives understandable but not natural sounding speech, and can be equivalent to
almost ten times more transmitter power. That combined with huge antennas
allows a 100W transmitter on SW to talk halfway around the world when a 50,000
watt broadcast setup can have dead spots 5 miles from the antenna.