[ubuntu-studio-devel] Feature Spec Discussion: Desktop Agnostic

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Wed Sep 2 01:56:06 UTC 2015

On Tue, 1 Sep 2015, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> On Tue, 1 Sep 2015 14:31:12 -0700 (PDT), Len Ovens wrote:
>> I have tried putting xfce's menu in there to use but was unable to
>> make is work in a seamless manner.
>
> Isn't it possible to add a shortcut? E.g. Alt+F3 to launch
> xfce4-appfinder? I don't know how long it takes to launch it for the
> first time, but at least after it run one time, executing it again is
> as fast as lightning.

xfce's appfinder would not give a menu. It is still a search thing. The
search function in Unity is not useless. There are situations where it is
helpful.

> Isn't it possible to use lxpanel, fbpanel or any other panel on top of
> Unity?

xfce4-panel will work. but because it is not unity's panel, applications
can cover it. If I put it on top of Unity's panel, it ends up under and I
don't seem to be able to make unity's panel shorter like a can with
xfce4-panel.

I have shortened xfce4-panel to leave room for an xfce4-panel running
remotely via ssh -Y. It works really well. I ended up with two menu icons
beside each other, the left for remote and then the local one beside that.
I think I started xfce4-panel on the remote with dbuslaunch so that dbus
stuff on the remote just worked. The idea was that the remote was not
running x (or a DE) but had the audio IF in it. I haven't had the feeling
of a need to do that since I replaced the P4 with an i5.

www.ovenwerks.net