[ubuntu-studio-devel] Elementary OS

lukefromdc at hushmail.com lukefromdc at hushmail.com
Tue Sep 1 17:30:17 UTC 2015

Not everyone has ever used a Windows or MAC workstation, I've done low
power radio audio and activist video on Audacity and Kdenlive respectively.
I do not have money to buy paid software, nor do I trust closed packages not
to phone home with my sensitive raw material.

In audio I have added sung tracks to Audacity projects with several other tracks
playing, and recorded audio from both internal and external sources using both
onboard sound and the old-style $7 soundcards. The latter lacked a front headphone
jack but supported internal recording from the output, which requires PA or JACK
with current onboard sound due to the board makers taking money from Hollywood.
Unless dealing with pulseaudio bugs or a damaged soundcard I was always able to get
good enough sound for two tracks. I've never had, not sure I've even SEEN one of
those surround sound systems.

Not having ever used the paid software does mean I have exactly NO idea
what people are saying when they claim it does a better job. OK, some versions
of Kdenlive are utterly stable and some are crashy, but the only thing I would
really like to see (andf it's coming) is usage of the GPU to let transitions and
effects play in full realtime.  I've rendered out videos over an hour long with
Kdenlive, and also made intensely comples "year in review" videos with literally
hundreds of clips, captions made as .png files, the works.   If you sat me down
in front of a $10K pro workstation to do that video, it would take me longer to
learn the interface than the time the GPU would save me, unless the interface
worked almost exactly like Kdenlive.