[ubuntu-studio-devel] CyberSec For Creative Humans

lukefromdc at hushmail.com lukefromdc at hushmail.com
Sat Oct 31 00:33:52 UTC 2015

How well does this work for recovering a viable still from an H264 video?
Remember we are talking about software recovery after all deletion
of files followed by overwrite of all available space (newly and otherwise)
with random numbers. This takes 4 dd runs on a 16GB chip.

I've still been recommending total destruction if a felony is accidently
(or not accidently) filmed. If a camera with internal storage is used,
that mandates CAMERA destruction, thus the need for cameras with
SD card storage.

There is also the converse case of filming police  committing
a felony and wanting the best possible data preservation complete with chain
of custody and backup images in case evidence is "lost" by unsympathetic
prosecutors. I hear of such cases but have no experience with that. Certainly
a whole device DD image should then be kept and the original card
immediately set read-only and taken out of service.