[ubuntu-studio-devel] CyberSec For Creative Humans

lukefromdc at hushmail.com lukefromdc at hushmail.com
Thu Oct 29 23:41:48 UTC 2015

At the creation level, the value is in having software that does not require
activation.  That rules out paid software like Windows video editors
(and lightworks) and sound editors. It also rules out Windows.

If someone installs US from a new iso on an offline machine, there is
no network and nothing can phone home, yet everything works. if
codecs are missing from the ISO, they can be fetched by flash drive
and again brought in for offline installation. Easy way: install also to a
laptop, pull the packages somewhere else, save them from the APT
cache, bring them home. Actually this codec issue is does complicate
things just enough to require someone with some computer skills
to set up the machine. This is an issue because of cameras that shoot
to H264 or other patented codecs.

On Windows we would be talking  about activation on a particular machine,
plus the use of currency over the network, itself an issue that could identify
the owner of the system. We also have no proof that proprietary editors
are not watermarking output in some way, possibly even enough to identify
a particular license. We do know that many printers do this, after all.